The Australasian Packaging Innovation & Designs Awards (PIDAs) were announced today at a hybrid event, the in-person part in Gold Coast during Foodtech Queensland. The stars of the ANZ packaging industry were dusted in gold, with Caps & Closures winning the most awards overall.
At this year's awards, packaging innovation addressing sustainability, accessibility and smart packaging design incorporating intelligent packaging technology came to the fore.
In the Gold Award tally, Caps & Closures scored top count with three, while BioPak, Brownes Dairy, Production Packaging Innovations, Nestle Australia and Opal Group each won two.
This pinnacle awards programme for the Australia and New Zealand region is co-ordinated by the peak industry education and training body, the Australian Institute of Packaging.
The awards presentation was co-hosted by Nerida Kelton, AIP executive director, and Lindy Hughson, publisher of PKN Packaging News and Food & Drink Business, the exclusive media partners of the PIDAs.
This is the eighth year of the PIDAs. Year on year the number of entries keeps growing, and the subsequent success of winners on the global stage escalates -- the PIDAs is the feeder awards programme for the World Packaging Organisation (WPO) WorldStar awards. All PIDA 2022 winners are eligible to enter the WorldStar 2023 competition, and an added drawcard is that these awards will be presented at international packaging megashow Interpack, taking place in Dusseldorf in May 2023.
This year there were 12 categories awarded to companies that have designed innovative packaging, divided into six category awards, and six special awards were awarded to companies and individuals as follows: (click on the links below to find out who won the golds and other awards).
- Food Packaging Design of the Year
- Beverage Packaging Design of the Year
- Health, Beauty & Wellness Packaging Design of the Year
- Domestic & Household Packaging Design of the Year
- Labelling & Decoration Design of the Year
- Outside of the Box Design of the Year
- Marketing Design of the Year
- Accessible and Inclusive Packaging Design of the Year
- Save Food Packaging Design of the Year
- Sustainable Packaging Design of the Year
- Industry Packaging Professional of the Year
- ABA Scholarships
A special award, the AIP President's scholarship was also announced.